Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Wittgenstein and Windystein...

hi lover...

we are just home after a wrap-up pint downtown. we visited friends of kieran's out in torbay (about a 15 min drive outside of st. johns...here is what the weather was like when we hiked nearby:







the wind was SO STRONG AND COLD!!! it was like little salt and ice chunks blowing into your face!! like an ice/salt facial!! it almost blew us over!!!

and...here is an excerpt from the Wittgenstein book I am reading, "The Blue and Brown Books"...

"But if we had to name anything which is the life of the sign, we should have to say that was its use....The mistake we are liable to make could be expressed thus: WE are looking for the use of a sign, but we look for it as though it were an object co-existing with the sign. (One of the reasons for this mistake is again that we are looking for a "thing corresponding to a substantive.")
      The sign (the sentence) gets its significance from the system of signs, from the language to which it belongs. Roughly: understanding a sentence means understanding a language.
      As part of a system of language, one may say, the sentence has life."

I am really interested in his thinking about language, and systems, and context...and I feel some overlap with your work...but I have to do some more reading first. That is just a teaser. :) ...

I am going to bed now, and going to look at the other goodies you sent me a couple of blog posts ago...

We are getting up pretty early, have to pack up, head to the airport, and fly mid-day...Hopefully the weather will cooperate!!

I love you to the moon baby boo. I got your email about rent too (just realized I hadn't responded)...It's all good :) I will keep track of everything, don't you worry!!

I'm excited to have a nice long (and hopefully with clear reception!) talk with you before your weekend trip. I'm really happy you are getting away, spending time with Sigrid (I'm sure she will appreciate time with you so much), enjoying Copes, and a little time away from GG...

love love love love I love youuuuu XXXXxxxxxx





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home